Thursday, February 05, 2009

Homemade Detergent Recipes

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent Recipes : TipNut.com and http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm


I was reading about somebody making their own laundry detergent and it seemed like a very thrify, DIY solution. "Washing Soda" is the same soda ash that I buy from www.dharmatrading.com when I'm doing tie-dye. I'll give it a shot next time I need detergent.

I always thought that homemade, eco-groovy cleaning supplies was a good solution and I see folks marketing them now, and for a pretty penny.

My top solutions are:
* Use dishtowels instead of papertowels and toss them in with yourregular laundry load. I only use paper towels when draining bacon.
* Cut your old clothes into rags to use for cleaning the house and dusting. The thick fabrics (like old pants) can be layered on dirt in the garden and covered with bark to be a weed barrier more effective than the purchased ones.
* Make a paste of castille soap (like Dr. Bronner's) with baking soda and scrub onto the tub and fixtures for a mildly abrasive, effective cleanser. You can add essential oils, too. I like lavender because of its cleaning properties. This works also with stovetops.
* Spray your counters with a mix of water and Dr. Bronner's and wipe off with a rag.
* Use a mix of vinegar and water, and rags, to scrub your hardwood floors. I sometimes add an essential oil for the scent.
* Clean your drains with vinegar and baking soda. It's also fun to play with.

No comments:

Post a Comment